About Jamie Clarke
I design illustrative lettering and decorative fonts. My approach is to blend imagery with lettering to enhance its message. This typographic style has found a home in branding and on packaging projects and book covers.
My background is originally in web design. I was Head of Design at Microsoft in Europe and then went on to form one of the UK’s top digital agencies. I worked with a range of well-known media and technology clients for over a decade at my agency before decided to specialise in type and lettering.
I refreshed my skills at the University of Reading, studying type design and then letterpress at the St. Bride Foundation in London.
Update: I've returned to the UK after living in Sydney for a few years, and have settled in the countryside just outside of Bristol. I’m currently working on custom lettering projects and my own typeface designs.
I also run the popular blog, Type Worship, exploring the endless styles and trends leading the type and lettering world. I’m part of the team behind the typography magazine, 8 Faces, created by Elliot Jay Stocks, and I’ve written about type for several other publications.
Selected articles and features:
- Craftsmanship that would make William Morris proud, Typograph.Her
- The Evolution of Chromatic Type, I Love Typography
- Brim Narrow – Making a Chromatic Typeface, I Love Typography
- Rig Shaded –Create your own 3D typeface, Creative Bloq
- Interview with Typeroom
- Last night a typeface saved my life, Lagom Magazine
- Typographers’ Typefaces, Type Worship, 8 Faces Blog
- How to design your own typeface, Creative Bloq
2013-2018 Typism Books 1,3,4, Finesse Press
2017 – Scripted, Custom Lettering in Graphic Design, Sandu Publishing
2017 – Type Tells Tales, Steven Heller, Gail Anderson
2017 – Expressive Type, Alex Fowkes
2016 – Sketching Type, Lee Sutey
2016 – 365 Typo, Étapes Editions